Cart

{ cart.item_count }

Oops, Your Shopping Cart Is Empty!

Shipping FREE

Order Subtotal { cart.total_price | money }

Checkout

9 Things Parents Should Know Before Using Insecticides Around Kids

James Campigotto | Jul 1, 2024

As parents, our top priority is to keep our children safe and healthy. However, the products we use to control pests can sometimes pose risks to our kids. Insecticides, commonly used in households, can have serious effects on children's health. Here are nine essential tips to help you use insecticides safely around children and protect your family.


Understand the Risks

It's crucial to understand that insecticides can be harmful to children. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 3 million children under the age of six are exposed to insecticides each year in the United States. These exposures can lead to various health issues, from immediate poisoning to long-term developmental and neurological problems. Recognizing these risks can help you take necessary precautions.

Be Aware of Insecticide Toxicity

Children are more vulnerable to insecticides than adults because their bodies absorb and retain these chemicals at higher rates. Their developing brains and organs are more easily damaged, and their smaller size means they get a higher dose per pound of body weight. Additionally, children's natural curiosity and tendency to put things in their mouths increase the risk of accidental ingestion. Understanding these vulnerabilities is key to protecting your children.

Recognize Exposure Routes 

Insecticides can enter a child's body in several ways:

  • Ingestion. Children might swallow insecticides if they find and play with containers or if these chemicals contaminate food or water.
  • Inhalation. Sprays, dusts, or vapors can be inhaled, especially during or shortly after application.
  • Dermal. Skin contact with treated surfaces or direct application can lead to absorption through the skin.

Knowing these exposure routes can help you minimize risks by taking appropriate precautions.

Know the Symptoms of Poisoning

Recognizing the symptoms of insecticide poisoning can help you act quickly in an emergency. Symptoms vary depending on the type of insecticide and the exposure route but can include:

  • Ingestion. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, drooling.
  • Inhalation. Coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, headache.
  • Dermal. Skin irritation, redness, rashes, excessive sweating, muscle twitching.

If you suspect your child has been exposed to an insecticide, seek medical attention immediately.

Provide First Aid

If your child is exposed to an insecticide, follow these first aid steps:

  • Ingestion. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by a healthcare professional. Call emergency services and provide as much information as possible.
  • Inhalation.  Move your child to fresh air immediately. If they are not breathing, start rescue breaths or CPR and call emergency services.
  • Dermal. Remove contaminated clothing and rinse the affected area with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. If the insecticide gets into the eyes, rinse them with clean water for at least 15 minutes.

Having the product container or label on hand can help healthcare providers treat the exposure effectively.

Store Insecticides Safely

Proper storage of insecticides is crucial to prevent accidental exposures. Always keep insecticides in their original containers with labels intact, and store them in a secure, locked location out of reach of children. Use a dedicated storage area separate from food, medicine, and other household items. Ensure the storage area is well-ventilated, cool, and dry to prevent leaks and spills.

Handle Insecticides with Care

When using insecticides, follow these safety measures:

  • Wear protective clothing such as long sleeves, pants, and gloves.
  • Follow the product label instructions precisely.
  • Ensure proper ventilation during and after application.
  • Wash your hands and change clothes after use.
  • Keep children and pets away from treated areas until they are completely dry.

These steps can help minimize the risk of accidental exposure.

Dispose of Insecticides Properly

Improper disposal of insecticides can lead to environmental contamination and health risks. Follow these guidelines for safe disposal:

  • Check local regulations for hazardous waste disposal.
  • Use household hazardous waste collection programs.
  • Never pour insecticides down drains or onto the ground.
  • Empty and rinse containers before disposal, if recommended.

Proper disposal helps protect the environment and reduces the risk of accidental exposure.

Use Safer Alternatives

Consider using safer, child-friendly alternatives to traditional insecticides. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a holistic approach that focuses on long-term prevention and minimizing chemical use. Key strategies include:

  • Prevention. Keep your home clean and seal entry points to prevent pests from entering.
  • Mechanical and Physical Controls. Use traps, barriers, and other non-chemical methods.
  • Biological Controls. Introduce natural predators or pathogens that target pests.
  • Low-Toxicity Insecticides. Choose insecticidal soaps, horticultural oils, and microbial pesticides.

By using these safer methods, you can effectively manage pests while protecting your family's health.

Using insecticides safely around children requires understanding the risks and taking appropriate precautions. By recognizing exposure routes, knowing the symptoms of poisoning, and following first aid steps, you can protect your children in case of an accidental exposure. Proper storage, handling, and disposal of insecticides, along with using safer alternatives, can further reduce the risks. As parents, being informed and proactive is essential to keeping our homes safe and healthy for our little ones.

Shop Now Back to Chemical vs Lime