Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We get questions about First Saturday Lime all the time.
Please keep asking! We are here to help. Here is a list of answers to frequently asked questions. If the answer isn’t here, please don’t hesitate to contact us by clicking here or on social media.
What is First Saturday Lime?
First Saturday Lime is a natural refined mineral. Specifically, it’s PCC (Precipitated Calcium Carbonate) — also known as purified, refined calcium carbonate. It has the same composition as other types of calcium carbonate, such as limestone, marble and chalk.
Calcium carbonates, including PCC, are considered to be non-toxic. In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration has Affirmed calcium carbonate to be GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe). We’ve taken the extra step to get our lime tested to ensure we exceed purity requirements to deliver the most effective lime that’s safe for your family, gardens, ponds, pets and animals. Click on the Contact Us link below to inquire about specific regulations, or check out our MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) by clicking here.
How Is Our Lime Made?
Our lime is a form of Precipitated Calcium Carbonate (PCC) and is made by direct carbonation of hydrated lime, known as the milk of lime process. The milk of lime process is simple but ultimately, is a timely process we take great pride and care of to offer to the public. The process includes:
- Mine high purity calcium carbonate rock
- Crush the rocks to the particle size needed for processing – small stones or powder.
- Separate some of the impurities from the crushed rock.
- Calcine (heat) in a kiln to 1850° F, which takes the calcium carbonate apart, forming lime and carbon dioxide gas. The carbon dioxide can be captured for reuse.
- Add the lime to water to form calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime or slake).
- Separate out additional impurities from the slaked lime.
- Combine the captured carbon dioxide with the slaked lime. Calcium carbonate reforms, and since it is insoluble in water, precipitates out.
- Separate additional impurities and grit from the PCC slurry.
- The slurry is dewatered, dried, milled, packaged and tested.
Why Should I Use First Saturday Lime?
While other limes are caustic, or poisonous to humans and animals, First Saturday Lime is safe because it’s derived from the earth without any additives. We’ve taken extra, lengthy steps to make our formula fine (with a cake flour like consistency) so it’s easier to use, and tested it so you feel safe using it. With over 50 years in the agriculture business, our family is confident and competent in the best practices necessary to offer an age old natural pest repellent like this one.
We welcome any suggestions or questions that might improve your experience so please do not hesitate to reach out to us by giving us a call or sending us a message here.
If this stuff is so great, why have I not heard of it before?
Unfortunately, too many corporations are “all about the money.” With money as their primary goal, they’re not too motivated to spend millions of dollars and years of research on a natural product with minimal financial returns. As a result, First Saturday Lime (or PCC) is one of hundreds of natural products that are unrecognized and often forgotten – even though they are natural, safe, non-chemical products.
Most First Saturday Lime (or PCC) is used by someone who has a friend or relative that has used it and gotten results. You would think that is would be just the opposite—that a natural, safe, non-chemical product that is inexpensive and has so many uses would be in every home in the country, but chemicals and drugs are where the big money is, so that is what gets promoted and used.
We put loved ones first and extend this to the way we do business. We love our customers and are passionate about using PCC lime to protect and improve lives, gardens, farms, pets and animals now and for generations to come.
What are the Do's and Don'ts of Using Lime?
This is incredibly important. We stand behind our product 100% and want to be sure you get your desired results. To do so it’s important that you use it correctly.
- do not inhaled over long periods of time without protective masks
- do not “dump” large amounts of the product directly to anything – be sure to spread or dilute based on your needs and desired results.
- do not use in your home
- do not ingest – this is not for consumption
- discontinue use if irritation occurs
For more information, visit our Important Facts page by clicking here.
There are many types of lime. First Saturday Lime is SAFER than calcium hydroxide, STRONGER than dolomitic ground quarry lime.
This is nature’s mineral – an EASY solution that repels pests and protects the lives of loved ones, animals, gardens and our earth.